What do I need to be able to join Yellow Wages?

When you join Yellow Wages, we’ll need certain details from you to make sure we can pay you.This includes your National Insurance number and bank or building society account numbers. If you don’t have either of these, then call us to discuss your other options. We’ll also need to check that you are entitled to work in the UK, usually by checking your passport if you are a UK national. If you’re not a UK national, we’ll need to see your work visa or other authorisation to work in the UK.

As you’ll be employed by Yellow Wages, we’ll also need your P45 (or alternatively P46) from your last employer to make sure we’ve got your correct tax code. If you are put on an emergency tax code, you could well end up overpaying tax.

What should I do with my P45?

Send it to us at Glasshouse, Suite 2F1, Alderley Park, Cheshire, SK10 4ZE. As your employer, we really need your P45 to make sure you’re paying the right amount of tax. Without it, you could be placed on an emergency tax code and end up overpaying tax, which could then take a while to reclaim.

What should I do if I don’t have a P45?

No problem, you’ll need to fill in a Starter Checklist instead. Call us on 01260 548 630 to find out more.

When will I receive my expenses?

If you are eligible to claim expenses, they are processed either weekly or at the end of the tax year (see our expenses guide for an overview of what is a weekly expense and what is an end of year expense)

The amount you claim, for mileage is reimbursed from the fees you earn for the company so that they are not subject to tax and national insurance contributions. As a very simple explanation, if you earn fees of £1000 for the company and don’t claim any mileage, you will be taxed on the wages and commission you earn. If you were to claim £200 worth of mileage, this would be deducted from the fees you earn first meaning you only pay tax and NI on the wages and commission calculated from the balance of the fees that you earn.

We process your expenses as soon as we receive them.

Do I need to keep my receipts?

Oh yes. It’s good practice to keep all your own receipts as the taxman may audit you at any time. You need to send us receipts for vehicle fuel, travel, parking, tolls, accommodation, training/tuition fees, meals and PPE. It is your responsibility to only claim for expenses you have legitimately incurred and if HMRC decide to investigate, it will be up to you to give a full explanation.

Do I need to arrange my own professional insurance?

Not at all. As soon as you become a Yellow Wages employee, you’re covered for £10m worth of employer’s liability and £5m of public liability insurance. In rare circumstances, our insurance policy won’t cover certain activities so if your assignments are slightly out of the ordinary or you are handling hazardous substances then it is best to give us a call to discuss in more detail.

When will I get paid?

The payment cycle often depends on the arrangement you make with your client or recruitment agency, but this is usually done on a weekly basis and you can expect to get paid on a Friday.


Yellow Wages